The Bóquer route runs through one of the loveliest, most historical places in Pollença. It is an easy walk that starts at the Moll bus stop in Port de Pollença. From here we go down the Anglada Camarassa pedestrian street which follows the Port de Pollença coastline until it reaches the Avinguda de Bocchoris. At this point we turn off to the left and follow the avenue until we get to a roundabout. We cross over the roundabout and go straight ahead towards a country road that, in about five minutes, takes us to the houses on the Bóquer estate, built in the 17th Century.
This estate, which borders the Síller and Formentor properties, was owned by the Capllonch family, a member of which was Miquel Capllonch Rotger (1861-1935), an internationally renowned musician and composer who was declared an illustrious son of Pollença.
Bóquer is at the eastern end of the Sierra de Tramuntana. From the start of the route, looking east, we can see the mountains that surround the area, Pollença bay and the two towns. If we look towards the north-east, we can see the Bóquer valley, shaped by the Cavall Bernat ridge and Penyal Roig and which goes down to Cala Bóquer.
Once we have gone past the houses, there is a lime kiln which was used to burn limestone and produced quicklime which was sold as whitewash, disinfectant and for building.
On arriving at the cove, on the left, we can see a porthole, which perforates the Cavall Bernat ridge, and also the northern part of the Formentor peninsula and the islet of Colomer.
Cala Bóquer is a very large sea inlet, between the point of La Troneta and the Sierra de Albercuix. It is an unspoilt, stony cove with no lifeguard, for which reason extreme care is advised if you wish to swim. We must also respect private property, close gates and, particularly near to the house, not make too much noise. Animals that can be found here are herbivores such as wild goats (which put the area's plant life under pressure) and hares.
One of the most outstanding and attractive parts of the route is the Talayotic village known as Bocchoris which is one of the most important Talayotic villages on the island. It is thought that it was built by colonists around 1000 BC. Various excavations have uncovered remains of pottery and pieces of iron. A significant number of the settlers were warriors known as foners, because of the weapon they used – a slingshot or catapult (fona in Catalan). The foners were highly skilled and were recruited as mercenaries in the Carthage wars against the Greeks, in the Punic wars and, later on, by the Romans. It is thought that Bocchoris was made up of various villages and that it was one of the most important towns on the island. Some sources show that in the 3rd Century AD Bocchorum still existed. The town was later absorbed by Pol·lèntia, next to present-day Alcúdia, which was founded in the year 123 BC by the Consul Quintus Caecilius Metellus.